A trail of developments mark the significant changes that took place over the years in shaping up
the Board to its present status. U P Board of High School and Intermediate Education was the first Board set up in 1921. It has under its jurisdiction
Rajputana, Central India and Gwalior. In response to the representation made by the Government of United Provinces, the then Government of India
suggested to set up a joint Board in 1929 for all the areas which was named as the 'Board of High School and Intermediate Education, Rajputana'.
This included Ajmer, Merwara, Central India and Gwalior. The Board witnessed rapid growth and expansion at the level of Secondary education resulting
in improved quality and standard of education in institutions. But with the advent of State Universities and State Boards in various parts of the
country the jurisdiction of the Board was confined only to Ajmer, Bhopal and Vindhya Pradesh later. As a result of this, in 1952, the constitution
of the Board was amended wherein its jurisdiction was extended to part-C and Part-D territories and the Board was given its present name 'Central
Board of Secondary Education'. It was in the year 1962 finally that the Board was reconstituted. The main objectives were to serve the educational
institutions more effectively, to be responsive to the educational needs of those students whose parents were employed in the Central Government
and had frequently transferable jobs.